Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Funny Thing Happened....


So, this is the product that I use for Elias' hair. I love it. It is soft, smells good, easy to use and it keeps my man looking his best. :) I found it on a fluke while shopping Wal-mart's black hair care aisle. Yes, it's true. I'm guilty of occasionally walking through Wal-mart's lovely doors. Politics of shopping aside, I love this stuff! So I noticed that it was time to stock up on some more and I trotted down to Renton to find a Wal-mart. So here's the deal. Renton is waaaaay more racially diverse then where we live which makes me sad. I really want to make sure Elias is exposed to lots of people with brown skin. Renton is the place to be for that and as it happens, Wal-mart is the place for that too. So, I'm in the special hair care aisle and I'm looking for his special stuff. I find it, I put it in the cart. Meanwhile, I am the only white person in the aisle. I am quickly joined by 3 women who have beautiful brown skin. They want to know what I use on Elias' hair. I kid you not. 2 minutes later, Miss. Whitey-White moi is giving hair care advice. I was asked about the product. I was asked to demonstrate how I put it in Elias' hair. They acted as if I were the expert in black hair care. He of course, being an enormous flirt was lapping up the attention like a puppy. It was one of the most surreal moments since Elias came home. I think what I loved about it, was this. The inclusion. I felt like I was part of their group. They made me feel like I was part of their group. Thank you ladies for making my day!!!

15 comments:

Michael and Michelle said...

Fun! I sure hope our walmart has that suff!!! Is it a leave-in or a wash out??

Michelle
www.mfamilyblog.blogspot.com

Jana said...

Michelle, I just realized I put the wrong product up there! It is now correct. It's a leave-in, that doesn't wash out. I just put it in his hair in the am. It lingers on your hand, so I just use the rest on his skin.

Eryn said...

That is awesome!

Padilla Fam said...

Aaaaaahh, i LOVE it!!!

JonesEthiopia said...

I've had that happen to me, too, about R's hair. It is a weird feeling, but SO nice, too. YAY!

milreb said...

Sounds like you're ready to make a how to video?? I'm going to check your stuff out!

"Are These Kids All Yours?" said...

Love those moments- that is they way it should be!!!!!!!

missy said...

i love this! first of all, need all the hair care advice i can get. and i love the inclusion. what a special moment!

Amy said...

I will take note of that. Thanks for sharing.
Blessings,
Amy

Anonymous said...

Hmm.. I'll have to try that one out! Thanks for the advice!!

Sarah said...

Such a great story. Its the little things like that, that are so wonderful!

Gypmar said...

That fantastic story just made my day. It's such a joy to "connect" with folks you'd never expect to.

Laurzie said...

That is awesome! I love it when the divisions fade away. Thanks for sharing such a fun story!

Anonymous said...

That's a cool story!! :) And i will check out the product for my Danny!!

Erin said...

This story made me a little teary eyed. What's up with that? I don't know. But I'll look for that the next time I venture into WallyWorld. It's GOT to be cheaper than what I'm using on the little guy these days.