Thursday, July 23, 2009

SLACKER-IFFIC

I am out there still reading everyone else's blogs, but I have been TIRED. I have not had a lot of inspiration for taking the time to write much. It has been so incredibly exhausting moving ourselves out here, starting a new job, working full time, being lonely for our friends and family, etc.

My job is really pretty crazy. I have been an ER nurse for most of my 10 year career. I have pretty much seen it all. And this ER I gotta say just kind of beats it all. 12 hours of literally running around saving lives, going to sleep and waking up to do it again well...like I said, I am TIRED. And lest you think I'm being dramatic about saving lives, this week I had the not so incredible pleasure of finding a patient in the ER hanging herself. As in, get out my trauma shears and cut her down. Sheesh! I do however thoroughly love my job in one big way. I really do love being there for people's worst moments. Nobody plans on breaking their hip. Nobody plans on hearing that their husband just went into cardiac arrest on the golf course. Nobody just plans that their infant will get a fever and have to get a lumbar puncture. So when people do experience their worst moment, it is my honor to be there to comfort them. I love explaining and re-explaining. I love the difference a few understanding words and kindness can bring. So that I am thankful for, thanking God that He has placed me in a place of ministry.

Then on to the crazy little Ethiopian in the house. Oh my gosh, we have been baptized into the world of BOY. When our girls were this age, they sat there and played with their toys. There was the occasional removal of CD's from the rack. There was the occasionally dip into the chocolate chip bag. This child, oh my. He is just nutty. He is sweet and loving and clearly attached to us. But he is so incredibly active. All things must be hit, all things must be destroyed and mashed up. If anything is askew in his mind, there must be high decibel screaming and crying. I think Elias really did scare this poor woman at a restaurant the other day. At one point before the food arrived, he screamed at the top of his lungs (often for no reason). I do believe this lady levitated out of her chair. When she whipped around to question what hideous creature could have elicited such a sound, she just saw baby Elias and his Mom and Dad completely red in the face. We then asked for our meal to be taken outside. But on the other side of it all...this little sweet boy has brought so much joy to our family. He is a cuddle bug, oh my gosh. His big lips offer up the most luscious kisses I have ever experienced, topped off with drool and this great "oooooooooooo" sound. His most favorite activity is the trampoline with the sprinkler under it. He swirls around the trampoline like a shiny, black seal. It was July 3 that I first saw this:

And here is the picture of me seeing him for the first time. Rob was at his computer at home and we were able to open the photo at the same time.



At the time I was taking care of a woman after her C-section. It was great to share that moment with her. I said, "Hey, we both had a baby today!!!!"

And then on to Austin. I really like it! Whenever you make a move like this, you heavily ponder the very real possibility that you have just made the biggest mistake of your life. We have found a great Ethiopian adoption playgroup to be part of. We have found this group of people to be incredibly open and welcoming and for that I am truly grateful. I think I would have been under the care of a mental health professional without having had an outlet like this. I love the weather. It's very tropical here(read:humid) and surprisingly enough, I enjoy it. I've gotten to sit on our porch while cuddling our kids watching the most spectacular rain, thunder and lightening show ever. Meanwhile, we're all just chillin' in shorts, tank tops and flip flops. There is a ton to do here. Did you know you can mountain bike in Texas? Pretty sweet rides too. And then don't get me even started on Blue Bell Ice Cream! If you are an ice cream lover, nothing compares to this stuff. Really. So all in all, we are doing OK. And then there is the Town Lake. This is more like a river that runs through town. It is really one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. There is a 10 mile running loop (and no, we don't run the whole thing) along this river area. It is worth the trip out here just to see this.

So with all that said, we could seriously use your prayers. It's just been a tough transition and we are, like I said...TIRED. We still have a few unresolved "issues" that need to happen to make this move successful. And with that I will leave you with this picture...I always dreamed of having that back row filled up and now we got it!

13 comments:

Michael said...

It's so good to read a post from you again....like I should talk:) Can you believe it's been over a year since we recieved our referrals!!!!
Miss you!!!!!

Michelle
www.mfamilyblog.blogspot.com

Erin said...

It's nice to hear form you again, your posts are missed! I hope things continue to progress with your transition and the pieces all fall into place soon.

Laurzie said...

So glad you updated! I'll be praying about the tiiiiired... And you're not a slacker, you just have a busy, crazy life right now. That's why they call it Motherhood, right?! LOVE that last photo. :)

Samantha said...

Just reading your post made me exhausted! Hope all settles down for you soon. and, yes, BOYS ARE FULL OF ENERGY!! I cannot keep up with mine. He is more work than both girls combined! At least until they become teens...=)

Maria and Family said...

You are a brave lady...ER job, a move, and kiddos no wonder you are tired! prayers are comin your way. sounds like Austin is lovely.

The Hull's at #4 said...

Jana, just found your blog. I grew up in Austin, and live in Brownwood about 2 hr. NW and we just got home with our son (7mo) from ET in May. There are several AGCI families in Texas and we'd love to meet up with you. Hope your transition to Texas gets better and better!

Blessings,
Kim Hull

Anonymous said...

Oh Sweet Jana, I check yours and Robs blogs often and enjoy your humor and love. We are and will continue to hold you all up in prayer. With LOVE, Sabrina Zehner

Kim said...

Sending you love from California.

kb

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you posted!! I've been wondering about you! I relate so much with this post--being tired. I love hearing more about your job too. Hang in there! It IS a transition and it WILL get better!

Kimmie said...

Jana boys are different, aren't they. Since God sent us sons, we've had two ambulance rides...yikes. Sure makes life exciting.

Praying for refreshing for you. I can't imagine seeing the woman hanging in the ER...yikes. God's refreshing fall on you like a cleansing rain and may it fill you will a renewed spirit.

((hug))
Kimmie
mama to 7
one homemade and 6 adopted

Our journey said...

Hi there! 3 has definitely been a challenge for me, but we are making our way through it. I love this post about boys...they are a breed unto themselves : )

Amy

Nikki said...

He is SO adorable! I miss loving on all those Ethiopian babies... I wish I could go back!!!

Nikki
www.madebynikki.blogspot.com - designing blogs to fundraise humanitarian work... would you like your blog stylized and get to help children around the world at the same time?!

Unknown said...

okay, I LOVE this post. I really feel like I got a little bit more glimpse into the world of Jana. LOVE the referral picture! Bet you never would've thought he would grow SO MUCH!!! Austin misses you!
btw - Whole Foods 365 brand ice cream is REALLY good! (my opinion: better, yes I said that, than Blue Bell) there's no corn syrup and you shouldn't have any trouble buying it in Seattle!

We've been having Pacific North West weather for the last 3 weeks!
Wet and cool! LOVING IT!!!!